So Many Ways To Follow

IconIconIconIconFollow Me on Pinterest

Friday, February 24, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie


I forgot how much I love chicken pot pie.  Not the frozen Banquet brand ones either, nope that will not work and none with peas, yuck!  I have been planning to make this all week, but as I noted yesterday I've been a bit distracted getting the house ready for that special family that wants to buy it.  Any takers????  Wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy?  But, I know a house doesn't please everyone.  I remember when we were looking at houses.  There was one we loved, but it had the tiniest closets, I mean how in the world do people live with a tiny closet?  And, there appeared to be some drainage issue in the backyard that made it kind of swamp like.  I noticed a few weeks ago that they are working on the main sewer lines by that house, whew, glad we didn't get that one!  I have to be honest, this is not my favorite house we've owned.  It's our fifth house.  House number two was my favorite.  We built that one and everything was perfect!  I'm kind of sorry we moved, but things happen for a reason and everything is good!



On with the pot pie.  I wish I could have sent one to my son last night.  He called from school because he's sick.  Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking:  he's 20 years old, why is he calling his mom when he doesn't feel well.  Well, he doesn't get sick!  He will get the occasional cold and he has spring allergies, but he never has that fever, achy feeling happening.  Never has, strange and lucky child!  His girlfriend is helping take care of him and I'm very grateful for that.  He will be fine, I'm sure.

Okay, now I'm really going to tell you about these delicious little pies!  A big pat on my back to making such a yummy dish even though I ate alone, so sad, but kind of peaceful!


Chicken Leek and Mushroom Pot Pie

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about a pound)
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 leeks, trimmed, sliced and rinsed very well (to get rid of all that yucky sandy dirt)
4 small carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 pound of white mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup fat free milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp thyme (I used dried, but it would be perfect with fresh)
2 pre-made pie crusts (or you can make your own)

1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Place chicken in a pot and cover with water.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. In a large pan heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the carrots and leeks.  Cook for 6-8 minutes then add the mushrooms.  Cook about 5 minutes longer.  Add the flour, making sure all the vegetables are covered, cook 2 minutes.  Add the wine and cook a few minutes until it is reduced.  It will be thick!
4. Next add your chicken broth and milk.  Cook for 8-10 minutes on medium-low until sauce thickens.
5. Meanwhile, cut your chicken breasts into small pieces.
6. Add chicken to the vegetable mix, add seasonings.  Cook for 5 more minutes.
7.  Roll out your pie crust.  You can make one large pie, or individual ones.  I made individuals.  I used a large plastic martini glass to cut my circles because it was the perfect size.  If you do this you will need to roll those small circles out a bit to be sure they will fit.
8.  Fill the muffins cups or pie pan with the bottom crust in place with the filling.  Make sure it's really full.  Then, add the top crust and seal the edges and cut small slits in the top.
9. Bake 25-35 minutes (f40-45 minutes for a whole pie) in a 425° oven.

So cute and the perfect portion!

10. If you make the individuals, you can wrap them in aluminum foil then in plastic wrap or a zipper bag and freeze them for a later use.

Getting ready for freezing

2 comments:

  1. I was just making my menu for the week and I had pot pie on there...this recipe sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome and what a great way to use up those veggies :)

    ReplyDelete