So Many Ways To Follow

IconIconIconIconFollow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Ham and Cheddar Scones



I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, even if you don't celebrate the holiday I hope it was a great day for you!  We started our day as usual:  the kids slept in!  Then, we had a Nerf and ping pong ball battle after opening our gifts.  It is always the highlight of my day.  Libby and I found ping pong ball shooters and got Chip and Zach Nerf arrow shooters.  The dogs were running around barking and we were all laughing!  We went to see Les Miserable in the afternoon before heading to my parents for dinner and gifts.  It was a nice day, but honestly?  I'm happy it's over.  Today I will be taking down my decorations.  Why?  Well, tomorrow is my birthday and I don't like to see Christmas when I wake up.  I understand that you should keep your tree and decorations up until the Epiphany, but I just can't do it.

It's horrible having a birthday just after Christmas.  Nobody wants to eat, drink and be merry with you because they have just finished round one and are holding out for New Year's Eve.  Which is why I love my husband so much.  He makes my birthday a very special day.  He arranges to take me to dinner and I can do whatever I want all day!



Enough of my complaining.  Let's talk about these scones.  I love scones, but sometimes they are too thick.  These are awesome!  They are not sweet but packed with wonderful flavors.  I could have eaten them as a meal themselves, but since I served them at brunch I sliced them a bit thinner so there were plenty for everyone.  I'm happy to say with 15 people here there were only two remaining at the end of the meal!


Ham and Cheese Scones
(from Cooking Light Cook Club)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
3 Tbsp chilled Kerrygold butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Kerrygold reduced-fat aged cheddar
3/4 cup finely chopped Jennie-O turkey ham
3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
2 large egg whites
Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.  Stir in cheese and ham.  Combine buttermilk and egg whites, stirring with a whisk.  Add to flour mixture, stirring until just moist.
3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 to 5 times with floured hands.  Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.  Cut dough into 8 wedges, cutting into but not through the dough.  Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
4. Serve with Kerrygold butter.

*If you don't have Kerrygold products it's okay.  They were a sponsor for this brunch.  They do have wonderful products, if you get a chance try them out!


No comments:

Post a Comment