Could this have taken me any longer to post? I have been so bad about getting anything done since the beginning of the year. Okay, it's only six days in, but still. I haven't cooked a lot, but that is no excuse to not share at least something that I've done since the holiday season began. I promise to be here more often now. Well, let me post a disclaimer, I promise to be here more often after my son leaves for Spain. There, that makes it a bit easier!
As you know, I hosted a holiday brunch for my family and friends. I made two crustless quiches for the event. They were both delicious and different. I only wanted to make the one with veggies, but I had guests coming that do not eat mushrooms and spinach. Seriously! I have never heard of such a thing, but it happens. Well, I made a simple and super yummy cheese quiche as well. Everyone was happy. At least that's the vibe I got from them!
I apologize for the lack of pictures. I was concentrating on cooking and had my daughter take a few pictures and then I snapped one or two once everything was ready to serve. I did not get any of the plates piled high with food, but most were. Please close your eyes and envision what these lovely dishes would look like on a plate and sitting in a beautiful place creating a gorgeous picture. Got it? Okay, let's move on to the recipes!
Crustless Cheese Quiche
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Several dashes hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup melted butter
1 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 (16oz) container cottage cheese
12 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1. In a large bowl beat eggs well. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Saute onions in butter until tender. Add eggs and flour, stir in cheese, blend well. Add hot pepper sauce and pour into greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
2. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake 20-30 minutes or until center is firm. Cut into squares and serve after allowing to set for a few minutes.
Serves 9 or more for brunch
Crustless Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
(adapted from Just as Delish)
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 handfuls spinach, roughly chopped
Fresh mushrooms, roughly chopped (I used baby bella and shiitake)
6 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 (4-6oz) container feta cheese
1 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly greased a pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute for about 2 minutes. Add spinach and continue to cook until excess moisture has evaporated, about 5 minutes or less.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, cheese, salt, and pepper. Add in the spinach mixture and mix well. Pour into pie pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven until eggs have set, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.